Sunday, November 18, 2012

NORMAL: Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

So you might be wondering about the name. Heck. Even I am wondering about the name. But it has a cute story behind it. Skip down the page to #7 if you don't want to read about how I got there.

I will preface this by asking the following: What is normal REALLY? I feel that as a society as a whole, we strive for normalacy. That "normal-ness" is what defines us, is it not? Growing up, most strive to NOT be: a geek, nerd, dramatic, an intellectual, goth, punk, metro-sexual, hippie, granola, hipster, ect. The list goes on and on. We are told that in order to not be bullied or belittled, we either have to be the shining star of the football team (an analogy.. not a truth) or be "normal" enough that we just fly under the radar. But who's radar do we fly under and who are we hurting in the end? Ourselves.

They say the whole idea of "finding yourself" is bogus. But I believe it to be true. I have reinvented myself for sure (I hope). The girl I left behind in Montana was all right. She was nice and didn't take risks. She was just beginning to realize that there is more out there.

The girl I found in Portland? She goes to town on Goodwill stores with the Ugly Betty Philosophy: Don't knock it till you try it on and the weirdest shit is the best. She wears gaudy costume earrings. She fo-hawked her hair the other day.. something that NEVER would have occurred in Montana. She drives around Portland in a murdered out Subaru... and feels like a badass doing it. She goes drinking with friends. She wants to rescue sea turtles and not use her degree. She doesn't have a plan because she is letting life happen. Strange? Yes. But not really.

But the biggest and weirdest thing that has happened? I have owned up to a few things (not a complete list):
  1. I don't like getting drunk. Tipsy? Fine. Drunk? No. 
  2. I may never be the type of girl who can do random hookups: be it sex or making out. 
  3. I am not a size 0. Or a size 10. Could I be? Yes. Do I use that number to judge my self-worth and whether I deserve the respect of myself and others? Oh hells no. 
  4. I want to go to a Transvestite bar/show. Plain and simple.
  5. I love musical theatre. If life was a musical... 
  6. I love being dramatic. Not a drama queen, but if I have the chance to quote Shakespeare and talk with an accent, I will. All the time if possible.
7. I want to LARP at least once. Maybe multiple times.

LARPing is Live Action Role Play. Go to youtube and search "Lightening bolt larp" and there you go.

I told my friends C.V. and L.M. about this. And they made a fake craigslist ad that said this:
So the joke was born. However, when I look at this picture, I think Thor. So I think I might be on to something. Not weird at all.... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment