Monday, December 10, 2012

LIFE: the musical.

I have a tendency of turning sentences into song. Generally incredibly off key Opera pieces about how much I love peanut butter on my toast or vanilla creamer in my coffee.

But then there are those songs that come on and suddenly you are having an out of body experience watching yourself have this dramatic moment punctuated by these lyrics that fit the mood and timing perfectly. Bam. Life is a suddenly a musical and its your cameo moment. Do you sing like your life depends on it? Or come back to yourself and ignore the epicness that just happened? Maybe that feeling is just my own little version of crazy.

While growing up in a home with an alcoholic stepdad, a mom that just wouldn't leave him, two older siblings who both battle(d) drug addictions, and a dad that just didn't get how to be a dad, my song was "Wonderful" by Everclear. By no means was my childhood the worst it could be, but at the time it sure felt like it.

Of course the song that relates to your life evolves as you do. Pretty sure at one point when I went through my cowboy and horse phase it was "Rodeo" by Garth Brooks. The romance of being a buckle bunny was blown way out of proportion in my head I think. And of course any romantic song that talks about true love and two people finding each other was entrenched firmly in my dreams. When I had a long term crush on a guy named Steve, T-Swift helped me get by with her song "Hey Stephen".  Talk about perfect fit.

Yeah. He turned out to be a little bit nutty.

Right now? Life is a little mixture of "Mine" by Taylor Swift when I feel like I am too messed up to form a lasting relationship and a large mixture of my current power song: "Defying Gravity" by Ms. Elphaba in Wicked. But mostly the latter.

Well. I feel a solo coming on and things are about to get a bit.... Wicked.

Key To Life #4439: Make stupid jokes that make you laugh and feel clever. Thats how you stay sane.




1 comment:

  1. Two years ago when I moved to the big city, "Defying Gravity" was my theme song too! It puts you in a kick ass, confident mood to take on anything life has to throw at you. You should try "Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall!

    ReplyDelete